Senior Rails developer
Posted: May 20
Headquarters: London, United Kingdom
SendOwl (ecommerce software for selling digital products) is looking to take on a full time Rails developer to expand our development team. We're an established eight-year-old company with a loyal customer base and a passionate team.
This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to do what they love (Rails) without being distracted by commuting, long hours and office politics.
Being privately owned has kept us very efficient. We focus on a) providing a great product b) listening very closely to our customer needs and c) adding features where there's proven demand. Everything we do is tracked back to KPIs that matter to us and our customers.
For some people this is a really scary way to run a company as there's nowhere to hide. For us it's the only way to operate, but that's not to say we've not got it wrong in the past (adding features people don't need is one of several examples).
A bit about you
We're looking to take on a developer so we can speed up the rate at which we move. Key skills for this role are:
- Senior level Rails experience
- jQuery, Sysadmin or UI/UX skills a bonus
- Strong ownership skills. As a small team we don't have project managers. You're responsible for your tasks so you'll need to be good at taking ownership and reporting back to the team.
- Flexibility and an open mind. Everyone in the company does customer support two days per month. You learn an incredible amount about our customers and our product doing this, which is why we insist on it. It doesn't matter if you've no experience doing customer support. We're happy to train you up and there'll be somebody with you when you're on duty.
- An ability to renegotiate requirements. In Computer Science there's hard problems and hard problems that don't need solving. We are constantly asking ourselves if there's an easier way to do something for our customers. Knowing when a hard problem doesn't need solving and throwing the requirements back is essential for us.
A bit about what we can offer
- Properly flexible working. We all work remote by default and meet up as required. As long as the work gets done and you overlap with your colleagues for part the day then we don't mind when you work.
- A sensible work life balance. We work 7.5 hours a day. That gives you a chance to do what you love outside of work, which means you'll come back the next day refreshed and effective. We do occasionally get caught up in the excitement of a new feature launch and work more, but it is just that – occasional. A culture of long hours benefits nobody.
- The odd owl-themed night out or away day
To apply: email@example.com