Intermediate/Senior Software QA Engineer (Remote)
Daily Kos (Kos Media LLC)
Posted: May 21
LOCATION: Remote within the US or Oakland, CA
Daily Kos is the nation’s largest liberal online political community, news organization, and activism hub. Powered by millions of dedicated activists, we’re transforming media and organizing by empowering regular Americans to reshape politics.
We are seeking an experienced and results driven QA lead to help shape the QA function at Daily Kos as we expand our development team and build out more capacity for automated testing. Applicants must be self-motivated, efficient, and capable of delivering results with limited guidance.
Daily Kos is an exciting workplace! Our site is used by hundreds of thousands of people a day who care deeply about progressive politics and are working to affect real political change. We provide an extensive feature set that extends from blogging to activism and beyond, built on top of a modern tool chain that includes Rails, React, Varnish, Nginx, RDS/MySQL, Haskell, Nix, ElasticSearch, and AWS. We have an energized team of great people with diverse backgrounds and skill sets. If you’re interested in a position that offers more than just a technical challenge, we’d love to hear from you.
- Serve as primary QA engineer for our services team, building a deep understanding of our backend systems through testing our infrastructure, cloud services, and dev ops automation tools
- Clearly and precisely identify, track, and document issues
- Reproduce bugs and perform meticulous regression testing
- Write and follow detailed test plans for new features
- Collaborate with the product team to document software and systems functionality
- Identify QA bottlenecks and suggest strategies for clearing them
- Partner with team members to create and implement an automated testing strategy
- Advocate for our users both internally and externally to ensure they have the reliable tools that they need and do what they need and expect
- 5-10 years experience in software quality assurance with at least two to three of them as a lead
- Ability to write and run raw SQL queries in MySQL or PostgreSQL; knowledge of other data storage a plus
- Awareness of typical programming errors and the unexpected things users do whether accidentally or maliciously
- Experience measuring performance (reading and interpreting metrics dashboard, using benchmarking tools, etc.) and security testing
- Strong track record building front-end automated tests and experience with various automated testing tools
- Working knowledge in systems or operations at OS and basic networking levels.
- Maddeningly creative approach to breaking things and other chaos monkey skills
- Excellent communication skills, primarily in a virtual work environment
- Familiarity of the Daily Kos application and willingness to become a platform expert
SALARY RANGE: $80,000 - $95,000
This position is a 40 hour/week, full-time exempt position and reports to the Senior QA Manager. Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the United States. The position offers a flexible work environment, the ability to work remotely or from home, competitive salary, excellent benefits including: full medical, dental and vision benefits, optional 401K with a company match, professional development stipend, a generous vacation package, as well as employer-paid maternity/family leave. Our organizational commitment to personal growth and work-life balance reduces churn and encourages a very rewarding long term position.
At Daily Kos, we believe that the diversity of ideas, experiences, and cultures that our employees contribute to our organization help us be more effective activists, and we are proud to be an inclusive and equal opportunity workplace. We have a team of amazing people with different backgrounds and talents that are energized by the day’s news events, and people united by common cause. We’re a company that loves learning and supports growth and training for all our employees.
Women, people of color, and LGBTQIA individuals strongly encouraged to apply.